Michigan United and Immigrant Advocates Are Confident US
Fifth Court of Appeals Will Reject Anti-Immigrant Lawsuit
DETROIT - Today, U.S. District Court Judge Andrew Hanen of Brownsville Texas, who has previously expressed anti-immigrant views, temporarily blocked implementation of the new immigrant deferred action programs. The ruling could push back the start date for millions of immigrants workers to come forward, register, and apply for work permits, which is planned to begin as soon as February 18, 2015 for Dreamers.
“Immigrant families throughout Michigan still need to prepare to move forward regardless of today’s ruling,” said Diego Bonesatti, legal director, Michigan United. “We believe the ruling will be overturned and when it does, people need to be ready to sign up for protection.”
Families whose lives are directly impacted by the ruling were both disappointed and hopeful for justice in the end.
“We cannot and will not go back to living with the fear and intimidation of this politically motivated lawsuit and the ruling of an overtly anti-immigrant judge,” said Cindy Garcia of Michigan United. “Attorney General Schuette will not push my family back to the bad old days of not knowing if my husband will be whisked away from me and our two children. This lawsuit is a stunt that could hurt real people. We have to prepare for a more humane ruling.”
Immigrant families and advocates see the ruling as a speed bump on the way to full fledged protection: immigration reforms to keep families together and prevent the “race to bottom” that comes with the exploitation of vulnerable workers.
I Inicio I Locales I Internacionales I Nacionales I Columnas I Entretenimiento I Deportes I Clasificados I Publicidad I Escríbanos I Conózcanos I English Section I Advertise I Contact us I Archivo I Enlaces I
El Puente, LLC. ©