2010 CENSUS RECRUITING FOR THOUSANDS OF SHORT TERM JOBS
Statewide Testing for Locally-Based Census Takers Happening Now
CHICAGO - The U.S. Census Bureau’s Chicago Regional Census Center recently announced some very positive employment news: about 45,000 people are now being recruited across the State of Indiana to work as census takers for the 2010 Census between December, 2009 and June, 2010. Tests for these positions—which pay between $12.25 and $15 per hour—are taking place through January at locations throughout the state.
“These jobs allow people to work in—and for— their neighborhoods,” said Stanley D. Moore, Chicago Regional Director. “Even though most are part-time, temporary jobs lasting two to six weeks, working on this once-a-decade headcount allows census takers to be a part of history,” he added.
Conducted every decade since 1790, this constitutionally mandated enumeration of the U.S. population determines the number of seats Indiana will have in the House of Representatives. It also affects the apportionment of political districts as well as leads to the accurate distribution of community funding for schools, roads, neighborhood improvements, elderly care and the like.
The Census hires locally, and applicants are required to take a basic skills test and undergo a background check. Most jobs also require U.S. citizenship, a driver’s license, use of a vehicle and the ability to go door-to-door to interview residents. Since the U.S. population is more diverse than ever, in many areas, the Census will need to hire people who are bilingual.
Testing times and locations across Indiana are available by calling, toll free, 1-866-861-2010. More information about the positions, including application forms and a practice test, are available at the 2010 Census website: www.2010censusjobs.gov.
During the next three months, the U.S. Census Bureau will recruit more than 3.8 million persons across the U.S. Over 45,000* people will be recruited for census taker positions in the State of Indiana.
As mandated by the U.S. Constitution, the 2010 Decennial Census will enumerate the U.S. population. This data will determine the distribution of over $400 billion annually in federal funds for transportation, education, health care, housing, public safety and other social services, and determine congressional representation per district.
The Indiana recruitment goal is more than 45,000 persons, with the following goals per area:
Marion County 4,600
Fort Wayne 5,200
South Bend 5,100
*Recruitment numbers account for attrition and do not equal the exact number of hires.
December 4, 2009
• Most positions are for census takers and field operations. Hourly pay ranges between $12.25 and $15.
• Assignment duration and work schedule vary by geographic area, depending on need. Some positions may require working evenings and weekends.
• Most positions will run two to six weeks, with a part-time schedule of 20 to 40 hours per week.
• Most jobs require U.S. citizenship, a driver’s license, use of a vehicle and the ability to go door-to-door to interview residents. Employees will be reimbursed for mileage and expenses.
• Bilingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. In some areas, non-citizens may be hired to fill a language need. All applicants must speak, read and write English.
• Applicants must be at least 18 years of age, have a valid social security number and pass a background check.
• Males born after 12/31/59 must confirm registration with the Selective Service System (www.sss.gov).
• Applicants must complete a 30-minute basic skills test consisting of 28 multiple choice questions.
• Tests are also available in Spanish, but candidates who take the test in Spanish must pass an English proficiency exam.
• Additional information regarding positions, applications forms and practice tests may be found online at www.2010censusjobs.gov. For testing times and locations, call toll-free 1-866-861-2010.
The US Census Bureau does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, membership in an employee organization, etc.
El Puente, LLC. ©